(This is a general interpretation of Holy Scripture. Please do not take our word as truth, there is only ONE Truth, the WORD of GOD. Please read the scripture for yourself and pray, GOD will give you knowledge)
In this section of Matthew 12 we read about Jesus' rebuking of the hypocrites in his midst and the rejection of those who try to temp him by requesting proof of his power and warning them that every word they speak is recorded and will be read back to them in Judgement. Also, we read one of the most controversial exchanges in the New Testament, the appearance of the rejection of his his Mother Mary.
33. Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.
34. O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
35. A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
36. But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
37. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.
This is a very important lesson for all of us in today's world. We cannot be evil in our thoughts, adulterous in our minds and bodies and expect to be the good fruit of GOD. Righteousness comes from hard work, studying, the unabated obedience to GOD and his WORD. Every word we speak, every lie we tell, every instance of gossip we utter will be read back to us on Judgement Day, so be meek, humble (I myself have to pray many times a day for meekness and to be humble) and do the Will of GOD.
38. Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee.
39. But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
40. For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
41. The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.
42. The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here.
43. When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none.
44. Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished.
45. Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.
He gave them a sign alright, a foretelling of the resurrection by speaking of the sign of the Prophet Jonas which they totally did not understand.
46. While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.
47. Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
48. But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
49. And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
50. For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.
Before we continue we need to list Luke 11:27-28.
27. And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked.
28. But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.
This puts Christ's words in a better context for us to understand. This is a very controversial subject in today's world, we must understand that nothing Christ says is controversial except to man and his abdominal social and political values. I will not touch on the beliefs of Catholics who revere and worship Mary, as they are guided by their convictions and free will.
But Christ is making it perfectly clear that his earthly mother is not to be worshiped, as Christ told us many times we shall worship GOD.