(This is a general interpretation of Holy Scripture. Please read the Word for yourself, pray, atone for your sins through Yeshua and G-D will give you knowledge. Don't take our word as law.)
This is quick lesson to conclude Matthew 16. In this lesson we will learn about Christ's foretelling of his death and resurrection. Christ also tells us that martyrs in his name will find life and those who deny him in the face of death will lose life, unless they are forgiven.
But first; we will read about Jesus' rebuke of the Apostle Peter and Christ's instructions that anyone who wishes to follow him must completely deny themselves and enter into their ministry humble.
21. From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.
22. Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.
23. But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.
24. Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
25. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.
26. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
27. For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
28. Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.
The last verse in Matthew 16 has caused confusion among the unlearned. Skeptics will use this verse as evidence, as they believe, that Christ predicted the end of the world shortly after his resurrection. Thus his prophecy did not come to pass making Christ a false prophet. This would be the automatic reaction from folks who do not understand the true nature of the Kingdom of Heaven. Christ entered his kingdom at the ascension, he is in his Kingdom now but will rule an earthly kingdom after his return.
The Kingdom of Heaven is within us all, its here, now.